Monday, February 7, 2022

Chapter 1: Rumble in the Union

Artemis 
Population: 3987
Rocky planet in the Tsze System

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Truths-Communities
Few survived the journey to the Forge, and we are scattered to the winds in this perilous place. Our settlements are often small, starved for resources, and on the brink of ruin. Hundreds of far-flung settlements are lost and isolated within the untamed chaos of this galaxy, and we do not know their fate. 

There are a few prosperous sectors that are run by one of the five Founder Clans. We have a tentative foothold in this galaxy. Each of the five Founder Clans honors the name and legacy of a leader who guided their people in the chaotic time after the Exodus. Vast reaches of the settled domains are claimed by the clans, and territorial skirmishes are common.

The Leaders of these Clans hoard resources and technology and dole them out to their people as they see fit. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Forgotten Oasis Sector
Ruled by The Shining Collective

The Shining Collective is one of the Founding Clans. Its founder, Donald Avery, guided his people after the exodus and taught them hard work and discipline. The Collective's main sphere of influence is Mining, Medicine, and Technology. After they reached the Forge, the Collective formed many smaller factions to look over day-to-day operations within the Sectors they controlled. 

Donald Avery was an honorable man but during the centuries, the way of life he envisioned for his people became corrupted. The leadership that runs the Collective now runs their sectors through fear and intimidation. They withhold resources from their people and force them into slave labor. Many of the people living within the Collective Sectors fear for their lives and do as they are told so as to not attract the attention of the Watchdogs of the Shining Collective, the security forces of the Collective. 

Many cannot afford to book passages away from the Collective Sectors because they are usually poor. Most of the daily necessities of life are given to the people within the Collective's Domain as a way of keeping them dependent on the Collective but pay within the Domain is next to nothing. 

Old laws show that disputes were resolved through formal duels, but no one really does that anymore due to the Watchdogs looking over everyone's shoulders. People that are disloyal to the Collective supposedly get banished from their Domain, but most people think they are taken away and executed.

The Collective keeps exhaustive records of everything, hidden in a secret location. Leaders of each smaller faction within the Collective have access to parts of these records and if they need more access, they need to contact the Collective for permission.

---------------------------------------------------------------

[Begin a Session: Flashback reveals an aspect of your background or nature. +1 momentum (3)]
[Brawler Asset]

The Kepler Colony Rec center was jammed packed with colonist from all over. The annual boxing tournament was underway, a weekend of skill and violence that everyone looked forward to each year.

The final bout of the tournament was between Gavel and Badger. The bout has just finished the 9th round and both fighters were bleeding and gasping for breath in their corners. The crowd was cheering as the bookies made their way through the crowd getting final bets for the last round.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the final round of the Annual Kepler Colony boxing tournament is about to begin. Will our 8-time champion, Gavel defend his title, or will he lose to the newcomer Badger?" The announcer said as the two boxers made their way to the center of the ring to touch gloves.

----------------------------------------------------------

Kepler Colony was one of the prosperous colonies within the Forge. With a population of 3987, it was definitely one of the largest colonies. Kepler is located on Artemis, a rocky planet that orbits a bright burning yellow star named Tsze. 

A rugged planet scarred by eons of destructive asteroid impacts made the atmosphere of Artemis marginal at best but with the proper precautions, one could easily survive. Massive, jagged mountains could be observed from space and the planet was overrun with life. Steam-heated caves offered protection from the cold nights of Artemis.

Kepler colony was built on Artemis due to the mining opportunities it held. The colony was built from random scrap and wood that the original settlers scraped together from their ships, giving it a rustic look. 

There was no real law in Kepler Colony. The town was run by a large mining corporation named Avery Mining Corp. The owner, Sean Avery, had private security that made people do as they were told and work in the mines as was required.

During people's off-hours, they spent a lot of time in the Saloons around town or at home. There is a main hub where people gathered to trade their wares and where the spaceport is located. A select few had ships but most of the population were stuck on Kepler.

Most people tended to themselves and kept their heads down and didn't get involved in any problems that happened around town. They didn't want to attract the attention of Avery's thugs. 

There were a few people that did get involved though for the right price. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

The noon-day sun was blistering this time of year on Artemis, but I didn't mind it. I was sitting in front of my small ramshackle office smoking a stim while people watching when a young-looking woman, with tattoos up and down her arms, walked towards me.

"Are you Gavel?" The woman asked as she looked me up and down.

I nodded.

"Are you a god-fearing man Mr. Gavel?" She asked as she put her hands on her hips and watched me. 

I sighed as I threw the stim in the can next to my door.

"I don't know many that believe in the gods anymore miss?"

"Mrs. Kiri Sato." 

"Okay, Mrs. Sato. To answer your question, no, I am not a god-fearing man. The gods left us hundreds of years ago. I look out for myself. How may I help you?" I said as I got up and walked into my office, gesturing for her to follow me.

I had a small office right off of the main street, a large filing cabinet stood in the corner of the room. A small couch was along one wall and in the other corner was a desk with a few chairs in front of it. Hanging behind my desk were my boxing gloves. 

"So, what brings you to me?" I ask as I sit behind my desk. 

"My husband, Magnus, has been missing for two weeks now," Kiri said as she sat in the seat and leaned forward on the desk. "I need you to find him for me."

Narrator: Ever since I was a little boy my father always told me that Gavel men had a special intuition about people and their intentions and motives. He always told me I should trust my gut. I decided to see what my gut said about this Mrs. Sato.

[Empath. Rolling +heart; Weak Hit: 3 + 3 + 0 = 6 vs 10 | 4. The visions are murky; take +1 momentum]

As I studied Mrs. Sato, I couldn't quite get a read on her intentions, so I decided I'd give her the benefit of the doubt, for now. 

"He would never just run off without me. We tell each other everything and hide nothing." She spoke.

"Where does Magnus work?" I asked.
 
"He works for Avery Mining Corp for the last nine years in the Mica mines. He is a very skilled miner. Never been injured, always does as he is told. And he is Ironsworn Mr. Gavel." She said as she leaned back in her seat.

"Ironsworn huh. That changes things a bit." I spoke. 

"How so?"

"Ironsworn are fated to lead very challenging and difficult lives. We go about our lives and try to help others, but fate always intervenes and makes things a bit more difficult for us. Throws us a curve ball every now and then. Next thing you know things are spiraling out of control. I'll help you, Mrs. Sato."

I pulled out the piece of iron I keep on a necklace from the Exodus ship, Luminous Sorrow, my ancestors traveled on. 

"On this iron, I swear to find out what happened to your husband, Magnus and bring him back if at all possible," I swore.

[Swear an Iron vow (Dangerous) To find out what happened to Magnus Sato and bring him back if possible: Roll +heart: Strong Hit: 4 + 3 + 0 = 7 vs 6|5. +2 momentum (6)]

"Thank you, Mr. Gavel. Here's everything I could think of about my husband's habits, co-workers, hangouts, and place of business." Mrs. Sato said as she handed me a datachip.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A while back my neighbor Alcar Kazzim, one of the handful of guides on Kepler Colony, and I decided to split the cost of a Hoverbike. We figured since both of our jobs were spotty it didn't make sense to buy one, so we share the bike. Most of the time it is available when I need it and today was one of those days.

[Cheak Gear. Roll +supply: Strong Hit: 2+5+0=7 vs 6 |1. On a strong hit, you have it, and are ready to act. Take +1 momentum (7)]

I decided to make my way to the laborer's district and check-in at one of the saloons that Magnus liked to frequent. maybe someone there might have any information about Magnus's doings over the last week.

The Union was what people would call a dive bar. Rough-looking clientele watched me as I made my way to the bar. A large man, covered in tattoos, was wiping down the bar with a dirty rag.

"My name's Gavel. I'm a Private Investigator looking for a man named Magnus Sato. Ever hear of him?" I said loud enough for people to hear me.

[Ask the Oracle: Does anyone here know of Tony? Gave it a 50/50: Yes]

[Compel. rolled +heart: Weak Hit: 4+3+0=7 vs 10|6. +1 momentum (8) you succeed but at a cost]

"Yeah, I know Magnus." A man said as he walked towards me. 

He was a good 1/2 a foot taller than me and looked to be a laborer, he was built like a brick wall. I noticed scars lining his face and arms as he got closer to me. A large knife hung at his side. A few of the people behind him were grinning.

"I lost money on you during that fight against Badger. So, I'm thinking you owe me some payback. I think you cheated to win that match." The brick wall said as he took off his jacket and threw it behind him to one of his buddies.

Sigh. "Is this really necessary?" I said as I slipped off my duster and put it on a stool.

The man didn't bother responding and charged me, his arms spread wide like he was going to try and tackle me.

[Enter the Fray. Dangerous fight. Rolled +Iron.: Weak Hit, 4+4+0=8 vs 10|7. I'm in control]

I easily stepped to the side as the man charged me. I've fought my whole life and was pretty good and close-quarter combat. That was one of the first things my dad taught me when I was able to stand, how to defend myself. I wasn't a 10-time boxing champion because of luck.

[Gain Ground. Rolled +iron, +brawler: Weak Hit: 5+4+1=10 vs 10|9 +1 momentum (brawler 9), Mark progress (2 boxes), stay in control]

As the man passed me by a tripped him and he slammed into the bar headfirst. With a growl, he got to his feet and turned but I was ready for him.

[Gain Ground. Rolled +iron, +brawler: Strong Hit: 6+4+1=10 vs 6|9 +1 momentum (brawler 10), Mark progress (4 boxes), +1 next move. stay in control]

He threw a punch at me but being so large he was pretty slow, I was able to block it without a problem and gave him two left jabs to the face, knocking out some teeth in the process.

[Strike: Rolled +iron: Strong Hit: 4+4+1=9 vs 7|2. Mark progress twice (8 boxes) and dominate your foe. Stay in control.]

[Progress Roll: Fighting the big guy: Weak Hit = 8 vs 9 | 3. Others won’t forget: You are marked for vengeance]

As the man tried to regain his footing, I gave two more quick jabs to the face before hitting him with a powerful uppercut, knocking him to the ground.

His friends looked down at Brick on the ground in shock before looking up at me. 

"Is this going to continue?" I asked calmly.

They held up their hands in mock surrender and went back to their tables as I got some water from the bartender and dumped it on Brick's face, waking him up.

[End of scene stats. Momentum 10, Health 5, Spirit 5, Supply 5]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 4: Names can be deceiving...

Tranquility Station   Truths-Communication and Data In settled domains, a network of data hubs called the Weave allows near-instantaneous co...