Truths-Laws
Much of the settled domains are a lawless frontier. Criminal factions and corrupt leaders often hold sway. Powers rise and fall in the Forge, so any authority is fleeting. In the end, we must fend for ourselves. A few communities are bastions of successful autonomy, but many are corrupted or preyed upon by petty despots, criminals, and raiders.
---------------------------------------------------
Faction-Watchdogs of the Shining Collective
The Watchdogs are the backbone of the Collective, they are responsible for keeping the peace and enforcing the Collective's wishes to the people that live within the Collective's domain.
They can be spotted wearing navy blue outfits with the logo of the Collective on the right breast. They can always be seen carrying their favored weapon, a sawed-off shotgun filled with non-lethal ammunition.
They prefer to subdue any that cause unrest within the Collective's domain and are not above torture to get answers and find any collaborators. The leader of the Watchdogs is a man that goes by the name, Nails. Nothing else is really known about him. The public hasn't seen him, but the Watchdogs fear him.
The Watchdogs are brutal and corrupt. Most people tend to shy away when they see a Watchdog coming for fear, they will get pulled in for questioning for no reason.
---------------------------------------------
[Begin a Session Move: Unexpected peril lies ahead or lurks just out of view. Descriptor: Foreboding Focus: Transportation]
I slapped Brick a few times to get his attention.
"What do you know about Magnus? I need answers." I said as I held him against the bar, my fist in his face.
[Gather Information Rolled +Wits +sleuth's third challenge die: 6+3+0=9 vs 10|6|3. Strong Hit. you discover something helpful and specific. The path you must follow or action you must take to make progress is made clear. Envision what you learn. Then, take +2 momentum (already 10)]
"Alright, alright. Let me go and I'll talk." Brick said so I decided to let him go.
Brick sat on a chair and rubbed his jaw. "I guess you didn't cheat in that fight, huh. Magnus works with a guy I know; his name is Digger. Digger was talking about the most recent mining site that the Collective is using. After many weeks of digging at the new site, a structure was found underground. The Watchdogs shut the site down immediately and made it off-limits. Magnus started poking around and asking questions. That's all I know."
"Where can I find Digger?"
"That's the thing. I haven't heard from him since. I've tried contacting him a few times, but he never returned my messages. He doesn't live that far from here."
[Reached a milestone for my vow. Marked 2 boxes (2)]
Brick gave me the address to Digger's shack and a description of the man.
"I'll be seeing you around, Gavel." Brick said with a grin.
----------------------------------------------------------------
[Secure an Advantage. Rolled +wits: Weak hit .5+3+0=8 vs 8|4 Burned Momentum Strong hit. +2 momentum (4) +1 next move. You are successful.]
As I left the Union, I noticed Brick's goon buddies a few buildings away watching me. They were talking amongst themselves but at this distance I couldn't hear what they were saying. Knowing their type, they were probably thinking of the best time to jump me because of the beatdown I gave Brick.
I gave a wave and hopped on my Hoverbike and hit the ignition as they watched me. I gave a wave and sped past them, watching them out of the corner of my eye. One of the goons began laughing as he made a gesture with his hands, kind of like a mushroom cloud expanding.
I looked down and noticed a red-light blinking on the Hoverbike. I tried to stop but nothing happened as the red light began blinking faster.
[Face Danger. Rolled +edge: 6+2+1=9 vs 6|4 Strong Hit: You are successful +1 momentum (5)]
I jumped off the Hoverbike and as I hit the ground I tucked and rolled. A moment later the Hoverbike exploded, sending shards of metal in all directions. I barely rolled out of the way as a fiery piece of metal landed by my feet.
I turned to look for the goons, but they were nowhere to be found. I got up and dusted myself off as I looked around the street. It amazed me that no one came out to investigate the cause of the explosion.
"Alcar is going to be pissed," I said as I began walking to Digger's place.
Lucky for me, Digger's place wasn't too far from where I was. I had to keep my eyes and ears open around these parts. I guess Brick and his buddies weren't happy with the way I kicked his ass without breaking a sweat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This part of town wasn't the greatest, garbage lay in the streets and people kept to themselves. I went to talk to one of Digger's neighbors, but he ran inside his shack and slammed the door.
Digger's shack was small by normal standards. The roof looked like it had seen better days and the walls were almost rusted through. The aluminum door barely closed all the way.
As I got closer to the door, I noticed it was open a bit. Not taking any chances, I pulled my piece and entered the shack slowly.
The inside of Digger's shack was tossed. Clothes and broken furniture were scattered throughout the place. It looked like someone was after something. I doubt I would find anything in this place, but I had to give it a shot. This was my only lead for the moment.
[Gather Information +wits Rolled extra challenge die for Sleuth: 4+3+0=7 vs 9|6|10. Weak Hit. the information provides new insight, but also complicates your quest. Envision what you discover. Then, take +1 momentum. (6)]
[Story Clue Oracle (98): Descriptor (27) Dead Focus (20) Creature]
Looking through the mess of a shack I didn't really find anything useful, a bunch of messages from a sister was the only real thing of note. Otherwise, it was just clothes and various junk.
As I went into the bedroom, I found Digger. Or at least I think it was Digger. Lying face down on the bed with multiple stab wounds in the back was a man. He fit the description of Digger that Brick gave me.
Sigh "Nothing's ever easy" I mumbled as I searched the body.
[Gather Information +wits Rolled extra challenge die for Sleuth: 2+3+0=5 vs 2|2|5. Strong Hit with Match. you discover something helpful and specific. The path you must follow or action you must take to make progress is made clear. Envision what you learn. Then, take +2 momentum. (8)]
[Story Clue Oracle (70): Leads to a distant or unfamiliar place]
Whoever tossed the place wasn't a professional. In a matter of moments, I found a scrap of paper in Digger's shoe. You always check the shoes. People hide things in there all the time. The paper had a set of coordinates on it leading outside of town.
"It looks like I need transportation," I mumbled.
[reached a milestone, marked 1 progress (4boxes)]
-----------------------------------------------------
[Check Gear +supply: 4+5+0=9 vs 4|3. Strong Hit: you have it and are ready to act. Take +1 momentum. (9)]
It took me a while, but I was able to procure another Hoverbike from a person I knew that owed me a favor. I just hope I don't get this one destroyed. I make a good living doing what I do but having to buy two hoverbikes will no doubt put me back quite a bit.
[Undertake an Expedition (troublesome) +wits: 3+3+0=6 vs 2|7: Weak Hit: mark progress (3 boxes) Face a peril at the waypoint: Important device fails or malfunctions.]
The terrain of Artemis is treacherous at best, eons of asteroid impacts scarred the planet's surface and made travel hazardous for everyone that leaves the settlement. Even with the best equipment one doesn't leave Kepler Colony if they don't have to.
Unfortunately, my job makes me have to do stupid things, and today was one of those. The sun was beginning to set over the planet when I came atop a rise that allowed to me to see a great distance.
As I sat on the hoverbike admiring the view, the hoverbike began to sputter before the engine cut out. I tried to start it a few times, but nothing happened.
"Frak, are you kidding me?" I said as I got off the bike
[Repair +wits: 4+3+0=7 vs 5|2: Strong hit, 3 repair points. Cost 3 to fix the bike]
It was a good thing I knew my way around hoverbikes, and I was able to fix the problem, but it cost me a lot of time, and now the sunset, and it was pitch black on Artemis at night.
There was no point in continuing so I decided to make camp for the night and sleep.
As the sun began to rise, I continued on towards my destination.
[Undertake an Expedition +wits. 5+3+0=8 vs 3|3: Strong hit with a match. Mark progress (6 boxes) Opportunity: (91) Plea for help from a potential benefactor]
As I was cruising, I saw smoke rising in the distance and decided to investigate. Being stranded out here was the equivalent of a death sentence.
As I got closer, I saw a man waving his arms in the air as he stood next to a beat-up old Rover with smoke pouring out of the engine. The man was wearing an older style environmental suit, his shoulder-length hair was unkempt, and his long beard was scraggly looking.
"Hey there, can you help me?" The man said as I pulled up next to him and shut off the hoverbike.
[Does this man know Magnus? Given that I had a strong hit with a match I am giving this an almost certain chance: Ask the Oracle: No]
"I can try," I said as I took a look at the smoking engine.
"I appreciate the help, friend. My name's Lucas Sayer, but people call me Angler." Lucas said as he looked over my shoulder.
"Gavel," I replied as I pulled out some tools from my kit and began working on the engine.
"Pleasure to meet you, Gavel. I'm glad you came along. I was supposed to be somewhere yesterday but this piece of crap they gave me at the spaceport broke down."
"What do you do if I may ask?"
"I'm a researcher for the Collective," Lucas said as I was able to find what was wrong with the engine and began repairing it.
[repair +wits: 4+3+0=7 vs 7|6: Weak hit. Burned 9 momentum. reset to 2: Strong Hit gain 3 repair points, cost 3 to fix the rover.]
I stopped working on the engine and looked at Lucas.
"What kind of research do you do?" I asked.
Lucas sat on the ground leaning against one of the tires.
"I research Precursor technology and authenticate it if need be," Lucas said as he brushed the hair out of his eyes.
"Precursor tech? What are you doing here? There are no vaults on Artemis that I'm aware of." I said as I continued working on the engine. "Did someone find one or something?"
[Compel +heart: 5+3+0=8 vs 6|5: Strong hit: they’ll do what you want or agree to your conditions. Take +1 momentum (3)]
"Well, I shouldn't be telling you this but since you're helping me out with that piece of crap rover they gave me, it's the least I can do. While mining at a new site about a month ago, the miners came across a structure buried underground. The Watchdogs immediately closed the area off and sent everyone away before sending in a crew to determine what was in the structure. They supposedly found some Precursor artifacts with great power, so they sent for me to authenticate that they were indeed Precursor tech."
Lucas got up and walked over to where he had his stuff on the ground and grabbed his handcomp before walking back to me and showing me a map of Artemis. By the looks of things, we weren't that far away from where he was supposed to go, or where my coordinates were leading me.
"What is that place marked on the map?"
"That is where I am supposed to meet the Watchdog commander and authenticate the artifact. According to this, we are about 6 hours away from the camp." Lucas said before putting the handcomp away again.
I closed the hood of the rover and put away my stuff.
"Is it fixed?" Lucas asked.
"You're good to go," I spoke. "But why didn't the Watchdogs send someone to pick you up? I figured if you had an important job to do for them, they would've taken care of you."
"About a week ago some workers tried to break into the camp and steal the artifacts that were found. They've been busy with them and security." Lucas said as he pulled out a credit chip. "Let me repay you somehow."
"No need my friend. I wouldn't want to get stranded out here. It was my pleasure."
[Make a connection. +heart: 5+3+0=8 vs 2|10: Weak hit, as above, but this connection comes with a complication or cost. Envision what they reveal or demand. Since Gavel fixed his rover, I'm going to call it even.]
[Mark a milestone (6 boxes)]
Lucas shook my hand before he hopped in his rover and drove away. I decided to make camp. I didn't want Lucas to think I was following him. I'll leave later on so I arrive a few hours before sunrise.
[Undertake an Expedition +wits: 6+3+0=9 vs 9|7: Weak Hit: weak hit, as above, but this progress costs you. Suffer costs en route: Make a suffer move (-2) Costs me 2 momentum (1) for delays. Mark Progress (9 boxes)]
[Progress Roll: Find the spot of the coordinates: Strong Hit with match= 9 vs 7 | 7 strong hits, you reach your destination or complete your survey. Mark a reward on your discovery's legacy track per expedition’s rank: troublesome=1 tick]
I had to park the hoverbike about a mile away and make the rest of the way on foot. It took me longer to get there than expected but I finally did manage to get a good vantage point above the camp without being seen.
As I looked down at the camp, I could see the rover Lucas used parked next to three hoverbikes. The camp was quiet at this hour, but the Watchdogs still had a person patrolling around the camp.
I saw a caged area with a guard posted out front. Inside the cage were four men. I assume the workers were caught trying to steal the artifacts. I couldn't tell if Magnus was one of the prisoners, but I was going to find out.
[End of session move: Is Magnus a prisoner in this camp? Will Gavel be able to free him if he is there? We will find out next time +1 momentum (2)]
[end of session stats: Momentum (2), Health 5, Spirit 5, Supply 5, Vow to find Magnus and bring him back (6 boxes)]
No comments:
Post a Comment