Friday, February 11, 2022

Chapter 3: And they're off!

A Remnant

Truths-Precursors

The biomechanical lifeforms we call the Remnants, engineered by ancient civilizations as weapons in a cataclysmic war, survived the death of their creators. On scarred planets and within ancient vaults throughout the Forge, the Remnants still guard ancient secrets and fight unending wars.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Faction- Seekers of the Shining Collective

The Seekers are what makes the Collective feared throughout their controlled Sectors. The Seekers' main job is to gather secrets, intelligence, and truth. If there is something to be learned, most likely a Seeker in his white robes will be there asking questions and torturing people to get the answers. 

It is the Seekers job to keep the secrets of the Collective and to make sure everything is running smoothly throughout the Sectors. Most people run at the first sight of a Seeker, No one that gets questioned by a Seeker has lived to tell the tale.

No one is safe from the Seekers if they feel questions need to be asked, not even other Factions of the Collective. 

The Seekers distrust A.I. and are very suspicious of outsiders. Their leader, Ike Keelan aka Razor, rules the Seekers with an iron fist. Everyone in the Collectives Domain is afraid of this man, even the leaders of the Collective.

---------------------------------------------------------------

[Begin a Session: Influential character or faction is introduced or given new detail +1 momentum (3)]

"So, tell me, Magnus, what did you plan on doing with the artifact if you were able to steal it from the Watchdogs?" Ike said as he picked up a pair of pliers from the table and turned towards Magnus.

Magnus was chained to a table; bloody scars crisscrossed his chest and arms. His left eye was swollen shut as blood dripped from his mouth. A Watchdog was standing in the corner of the room watching Ike with interest, his sawed-off shotgun in hand in case Magnus broke free.

"I told you, I wasn't trying to steal anything," Magnus said as he spat some blood from his lips.

"I don't believe you Magnus, and that's too bad," Ike said as he grabbed Magnus's thumbnail with the pliers. 

Magnus began to struggle but the chains held him tight. A few moments later, Magnus began to howl as Ike slowly pulled the thumbnail off.

--------------------------------------------------------

It was about an hour before sunrise as I sat on top of the rise overlooking the camp. It was going to be tough, but I think I can get to the caged area and take care of the guard before the patrolling guard came back around the camp. I just hope that Magnus is in the cage.

There is a central tent in the camp that stood before an entrance into a rocky hill. I assume that leads down to the structure that was found by the miners. I'm betting most of the people are down there.

The tent probably held whoever was in charge and Lucas. If I'm lucky.

[Face Danger +shadow: 6+2+0=8 vs 8|6 Weak Hit: you succeed, but not without a cost. Make a suffer move (-1). Endure Stress -1 Spirit (4) rolled 2+4=6 vs 6|3: Weak hit, press on]

I wasn't very good at sneaking around, I preferred to tackle my problems head on. Sneaking about was very stressful, especially when you have two left feet and knock into things.

As I made my way down to the cage I slipped on a bunch of rocks. The guard at the cage turned to look but I was able to flatten myself against a rock so he wouldn't see me. The sweat dripped down my face as I held my breath. After a few moments the guard went back to being bored as he leaned against the cage door. 

[Battle. +iron: 6+4+0=10 vs 9|7 Strong Hit, you achieve your objective unconditionally. +2 momentum (5)]

I was able to sneak up to the guard and take him out quietly without arousing any suspicion. I quickly searched his body looking for the keys that would open the cage.

[Secure an advantage +wits: 6+3+0=9 vs 10|1: Weak Hit, +2 momentum (7)]

[Ask the oracle: Is Magnus in the cage? 50/50: Ask the Oracle: Yes]

I unlocked the door to the cage and dragged the guard inside as I looked around. there were three people sleeping inside. I checked each one and saw Magnus, he wasn't looking too good. 

I put my hand over his mouth and woke him up, my finger was over my mouth making a shushing motion. He nodded so I took my hand away from his mouth.

"Your wife hired me to find you." I whispered. "We need to leave."

[Reach a milestone in finding Magnus. (8 boxes)]

[Does Magnus want to leave? Making it Unlikely: Ask the Oracle: No]

"I can't. I need to get that Artifact they found in the vault." Magnus said.

Sigh "Why? What is so important about it?"

"When I was mining, I found evidence of Remnants activity right before they closed off the mines and kicked us all out. I think that Artifact is a key to unlocking the inner sanctum of the vault. If there is Remnants inside, and if they let them loose." Magnus whispered.

"Okay, listen. Your wife wants you back home. I vowed on iron to find you and bring you back if possible. Just go home. I'll make sure this artifact is taken care of."

[Compel +heart: 1+3+0=4 vs 10|10 Miss with Match: On a miss, they refuse or make a demand that costs you greatly. Pay the Price.]

"I already told you, I'm not leaving without the Artifact." Magnus said in hushed tones.

"I thought you said you didn't want the Artifact, Magnus?" Ike said, standing next to the door of the cage with two Watchdogs holding their sawed-off shotguns. "Who's your friend?" 

"Shit." Magnus said as he dove for the guard's sawed-off shotgun that was laying on the ground just as one of the guards fired.

[Face Danger: +edge: 6+2+0=8 vs 9|2: Weak Hit.: -1 health (4)]

[Endure Harm +Health: 2+4+0=6 vs 5|3: Strong Hit: Embrace the pain +1 momentum (8)]

I tried to dive in the opposite direction of Magnus but the blast from the shotgun hit me right in the side, knocking the wind out of me for a moment. It was a good thing the Watchdogs didn't use lethal ammunition. 

As I hit the ground, I rolled and got to my feet and closed in on the Watchdog blocking the door.

[Enter the Fray (Dangerous): +iron: 3+4+0=7 vs 2|1: Strong Hit. In control. +2 momentum (10)]

[I figured since Magnus is an Ironsworn, I was going to treat him like a companion with +3 Health for this fight.]

[Gain Ground +Iron: 1+4+1(Brawler)=6 vs 5|1: Strong Hit. Mark progress (2 boxes) +1 next move. +1 momentum for Brawler, already at 10]

I swept the legs of the guard blocking the door and leapt over him near Ike. I have to give it to the guy; he is pretty quick on his feet as he dodged away from me and unsheathed a wicked looking dagger from his hip.

"I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet stranger, I will enjoy talking to you afterwards." Ike said grinning.

[Ask the Oracle: Is Lucas a loyal Collective employee? Gave it likely: Ask the Oracle: Yes]

[strike +iron +1 from gain ground. 6+4+1=10(can't go higher) vs 3|5: Strong Hit: mark progress twice (6 boxes). You dominate your foe and stay in control.]

I gave two quick jabs to Ike's face, knocking him back a few feet while Magnus took a shot with his shotgun, hitting the Watchdog in the face and knocking him out of the fight.

"I'm going to use that dagger and kill you with it." I said as I circled Ike.

[Gain Ground +iron +Brawler: 4+4+1=9 vs 8|5: Strong Hit: Stay in control. Mark Progress (8 boxes), +1 next move]

Ike lunged with his dagger, and I waited until the last minute before dodging out of the way. My hand reached out and grabbed Ike's wrist, twisting it hard and making him drop the dagger.

Magnus shot the Watchdog on the ground, knocking him out of commission.

[Strike +iron +1 gain ground: 6+4+1=10 vs 9|1: Mark 2 progress (10 boxes)

[Progress Roll: Ike and 2 Watchdogs fight.: Strong Hit = 10 vs 6 | 5 you prevail. Take +1 momentum. (Already at 10]

I picked up the dagger and thrust it hard into Ike's side, killing him instantly. As I looked around, I heard a hoverbike's engine leaving the area. I turned to look in the direction of the sound but couldn't really see much in the dark except a lone light from a hoverbike zipping away from the encampment.

Magnus rushed into the main tent and came out a moment later.

"The Artifact is gone." Magnus said.

"I know where it is." I said as I pointed to the light fading in the distance. "Lucas Sayer has it. He is a Precursor expert for the Collective. He has a ship at the Starport. I assume he is heading there."

[I'm starting a Scene Challenge (formidable) to try and catch Lucas before he escapes. When the clock reaches zero Lucas was able to get away from Magnus and Gavel. The clock has 6 ticks.]

[Face Danger +wits: 5+3+0=8 vs 6|2 Strong Hit: you are successful. Envision how you gain ground, and mark one box of progress (1) on the formidable challenge]

Magnus and I hopped on the last two hoverbikes and took off after Lucas. We were desperate for time since he had a little bit of a head start but I knew my way around hoverbikes, been using them my whole life. I knew a couple of tricks and was able to get up to top speed in no time.

[Face Danger +edge: 1+2+0=3 vs 8|4 Miss Burned Momentum (2): Strong Hit: Mark Progress (2)]

We were gaining ground slowly, Lucas wasn't a hoverbike rider. He was used to comfortable rovers and starships. He was an academic. I can see him now in the distance.

[Secure an Advantage +wits: 2+3+0=5 vs 7|7: Miss with a match. Fill 2 clock ticks (4), pay the price]

We zipped over a low outcropping of rocks and Magnus's hoverbike scraped against something and began to smoke. I looked back as Magnus began losing speed. He motioned for me to keep going as his hoverbike stopped.

[Face Danger +wits: 3+3+0=6 vs 6|2: Weak Hit: you are successful and mark progress (3), but also encounter a minor complication or setback. Envision what happens and fill a clock segment (3)]

I lost sight of Lucas as the sun rose above the horizon in front of me, blinding me for a few moments before my helmet viewscreen polarized. I assume the same happened to Lucas.

[Face Danger +wits: 3+3+0=6 vs 6|5: Weak Hit: you are successful and mark progress (4), but also encounter a minor complication or setback. Envision what happens and fill a clock segment (2)]

I was hours into this chase across the planetside and my arms were sore, as well as my whole body. I was in better shape than Lucas, so he must've been in pain at this speed we were traveling. I had to give it to him though. He's one tough son of a bitch.

[Face Danger +wits: 3+3+0=6 vs 6|5: Weak Hit: you are successful and mark progress (5), but also encounter a minor complication or setback. Envision what happens and fill a clock segment (1)]

I was gaining ground slowly by each passing minute and as I watched Lucas, I saw him veer to the left. I gunned it and noticed up ahead a large crater. I decided to take a chance.

[Face Danger +wits: 4+3+0=7 vs 4|2: Strong Hit: you are successful and mark progress (6)]

I didn't hesitate and flew into the crater. Here was my chance to cut him off on the other side, as long as I didn't fall off the hoverbike. Racing at this speed down the side of a crater wasn't too bright.

[Face Danger +wits: 6+3+0=9 vs 8|6: Strong Hit: you are successful and mark progress (7)]

I could see Lucas looking down at me from the top of the crater as I picked up speed and flew past him. 

[Face Danger +wits: 4+3+0=7 vs 2|6: Strong Hit: you are successful and mark progress (8)]

[Progress Roll: Catch Lucas before he escapes: Strong Hit = 8 vs 4 | 6]

I was able to top the rise of the other side of the crater before Lucas got to me. I got off the hoverbike and pulled out my blaster and aimed it at him as he approached. He began to slow down and stopped a few feet away from me.

"It's over Lucas. Give me the Artifact." I said.

[compel +iron: 2+4+0=6 vs 2|1: Strong hit: they’ll do what you want or agree to your conditions. Take +1 momentum (3)]

Lucas was out of breath, he just nodded as he reached into the storage compartment of the hoverbike and handed me a small disk about the size of my hand. I took it and looked it over. It had strange markings on one side, and it was made out of a metal I couldn't recognize. 

"You know the Collective will look for that, don't you?" Lucas said as he took a few deep breaths.

I nodded. "I know. Did you find out what this is?"

[Ask the oracle. Does this Artifact open the door to the Precursor inner vault? Gave it a Likely Chance: Ask the Oracle: Yes]

"It is a key of sorts. According to the diagrams they showed me, it will open a door in the Precursor vault they found. My guess is the door to the Inner Sanctum." Lucas said as he watched me.

I put away my gun and slipped the Artifact in my pocket.

"I'm not going to hurt you Lucas, you're just doing your job. But you know I can't let the Collective open that vault. Magnus found Remnant activity within the mines."

"I know. I saw it as well while looking around down there." Lucas said as he got off the hoverbike.

"So why bring it to them?" I asked, curious.

"Because it's my job. Nothing more Gavel. I know people have been treated poorly by the Collective, but I've been treated well. They give me everything I need and could ever want. I have a family that depends on me."

I nodded. "Just tell them when you got to the camp everyone was already dead. They won't suspect you of anything. You'll be fine. Just don't mention my involvement."

[Test your relationship +heart: 3+3+1=7 vs 4|3: Strong Hit: Develop your relationship. Mark progress (3 boxes)]

Lucas thought about it for a few minutes before nodding. "If it, wasn't you for I would've been found dead on this planet. I'll keep you out of it."

I shook Lucas's hand before he hopped on the hoverbike and took off. It was getting late, so I decided to set up a campfire and have some food. I figured I'd head out in the morning.

About an hour later, Magnus pulled up next to my campfire and got off the hoverbike, breathing hard. His body was covered in grease.

"Did you get it?" Magnus asked.

"Yup." Is all I said as I ate some rations, I keep handy.

Magnus sat down by the fire and smiled. "Are you going to give it to me?"

[Make a connection with Magnus +heart: 5+3+0=8 vs 10|2: Weak Hit: you create a connection. Give them a role and rank. Whenever your connection aids you on a move closely associated with their role, add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit, but this connection comes with a complication or cost.]

"Nope." I said. 

Magnus nodded. "Swear to me you'll keep it safe."

[Swear an iron vow: I will keep the Artifact out of the Collectives hands. (Troublesome) +heart 6+3+1= 10 vs 8|2: Strong Hit:  you are emboldened, and it is clear what you must do next. Take +2 momentum (5)]

I took out my iron necklace. "I swear on Iron that I will keep the Artifact out of the Collectives hands." 

Magnus smiled and shook my hand. "Thank you, Gavel."

"Now go home to your wife. She's worried about you."

"I will. Thanks Gavel." Magnus said as he drifted off to sleep.

[Reach a milestone on my vow to find and bring Magnus home (10 boxes)]

[Progress Roll: find out what happened to Magnus Sato and bring him back if possible: Strong Hit with a match = 10 vs 8 | 8 Mark 2 ticks on your legacies track. With the match I'm going to mark a full box instead]

[End of scene stats: Momentum 5, Health 4, Spirit 4, Supply 5. I'm taking the third ability in Brawler.]

2 comments:

Chapter 4: Names can be deceiving...

Tranquility Station   Truths-Communication and Data In settled domains, a network of data hubs called the Weave allows near-instantaneous co...